HOPS are Good For you!
In case you didn’t know (which we certainly did), hops are actually beneficial to your health!
Go figure, a chemical compound found in hops “has been the subject of over 75 research papers due to its role as a cell protector, preventative phytochemical, and as a potentially longevity-enhancing compound.” AKA, hops act as an anti-aging agent, keeping you drinking craft beer longer than you thought!
While I have no idea what the scientific mumbo-jumbo means, and by NO means recommend buying a vial of a hop compound extract, I think that’s just another reason to grab a fresh, local beer.
Here are some more non-cited facts:
An Italian study of more than 200,000 people found those who drank a pint a day had a 31-percent decrease in heart disease risk. Beer can also raise HDL, the good cholesterol in your body.
- A 2009 study found the high levels of silicon in beer can be good for bones, but too much could mean more fractures.
- Harvard studies found beer can prevent blood clots and reduce the risk of stroke, and that a few beers a day lowered the risk of diabetes in middle-aged men by 25 percent.
- Research in Europe found moderate beer drinkers had 30-percent higher levels of the disease-fighting vitamin B-6 compared to non-drinkers.
- A study in Finland reports that men who drank a few bottles daily lowered their risk of kidney stones by 40 percent.
- Research found marinating a steak in beer could reduce the risk of cancer. It wipes out the majority of carcinogens that are produced when meat is fried in a pan.
So there you have it, in case you needed more reasons to drink beer, we just gave ya some. BOOM!